This course delves into the service-oriented architectural model and the service-orientation design paradigm and establishes the unique characteristics and dynamics that constitute service-oriented solution logic. The course raises a series of distinct considerations for designing service-oriented solutions with microservices, as well as REST services and Web services.
The following primary topics are covered:
– Fundamental Application Design with SOA
– Service-Orientation vs. “Silo”-Based Design
– Service-Oriented Application Design with Microservices
– Understanding Services and Service Capabilities
– Understanding the Functional Context of Microservices
– Complex Service Composition Design, Composition Runtime Roles and Responsibilities
– Composition with Microservices
– Distinguishing Characteristics of the SOA Model
– The Eight Design Principles of Service-Orientation
– Contract-First Design, Standardized Service Contracts and Uniform Contracts
– Service Loose Coupling and Coupling Types, Service Abstraction and Information Hiding
– Service Reusability and Agnostic Design, Service Autonomy and Runtime Control
– Service Statelessness and State Deferral, Service Discoverability and Interpretability
– Design Guidelines for REST Services
– Design Guidelines for Web Services
– Design Guidelines for Microservices
Duration: 1 Day
Taking the Course at a Workshop
This course can be taken as part of instructor-led workshops taught by Arcitura Certified Trainers. These workshops can be open for public registration or delivered privately for a specific organization. Certified Trainers can teach workshops in-person at a specific location or virtually using a video-enabled remote system, such as WebEx. Visit the Workshop Calendar page to view the current calendar of public workshops or visit the Private Training page to learn more about Arcitura’s worldwide private workshop delivery options.
Below are the base materials provided to public and private workshop participants.
Note that as a workshop participant, you may be eligible for discounts on the purchase of the Study Kit and Pearson VUE exam voucher for this course.
Taking the Course using a Study Kit
This course can be completed via self-study by purchasing a Study Kit, which includes the base course materials as well as additional supplements and resources designed for self-paced study and exam preparation.
Visit the SOACP Module 3 Study Kit page for pricing information and details. Also, visit the Study Kits Overview page for information regarding discounted Certification Study Kit Bundles for individual certification tracks.
The following materials are provided in the Study Kit for this course:
Taking the Course using an eLearning Study Kit
This course can be completed via self-study by purchasing an eLearning Study Kit subscription, which includes online access to the base course materials as well as additional supplements and resources designed for self-paced study and exam preparation.
Visit the SOACP Module 3 eLearning Study Kit page for pricing information and details. Also, visit the eLearning Study Kits Overview page for information regarding discounted Certification eLearning Study Kit Bundles for individual certification tracks.
This eLearning Study Kit provides access to the following materials:
Study Kits and Study Bundles can be purchased using the online store. By purchasing and registering this Study Kit, you may be eligible for discounts on the registration of this course as part of a public workshop.
About the Text Book
This SOACP course module covers a range of in-depth topics that are described in the course booklet and further elaborated by more detailed coverage in the associated SOA Principles of Service Design text book from the acclaimed Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl. This text book is included in paperback format as part of the Study Kit and may be provided in paperback or electronic format as part of workshops.
Vendor-Neutral Topic Overview
Note that all SOACP course modules are focused on vendor-neutral topics and therefore do not provide detailed coverage of any vendor-specific platforms or technologies. SOACP courses are intentionally authored this way so as to provide an unambiguous and objective and industry-level understanding of practices and technology that can be further complemented with vendor-specific training.
Download a printable PDF document with information about this course module and its corresponding Study Kit.