This course covers the essentials of the field of Internet of Things (IoT) from both business and technical aspects. Fundamental IoT use cases, concepts, models and technologies are covered in plain English, along with introductory coverage of IoT architecture and IoT messaging with REST, HTTP and CoAp.
The following primary topics are covered:
– Understanding Things, Connectivity, Data, Processing, Commands and Business Analytics
– IoT Business and Technology Drivers, Benefits and Challenges
– Miniaturization and Nanotechnology
– IoT Connectivity and Contextual Realtime Data
– IoT Business Domains (Personal, Home, Enterprise, Utilities, Mobile)
– IoT vs. the Internet
– Resource-Constrained Devices and Low-Power Wide-Area Networks (LPWANs)
– Active and Passive Devices (including RFID)
– Telemetry and Command Data
– Sensors (Mechanical, Resistive, Optical, Ranging, MEMS)
– Microcontrollers, Firmware and Power Sources
– IoT Gateways and Common Gateway Functions
– Introduction to Edge and Fog Computing
– IoT Platforms and Common Platform Functions
– IoT Architecture Layers and Action Modeling
– Key IoT Architecture Design Considerations
– Radio Transports (Leased vs. Unleased, High Band vs. Low Band)
– IoT Messaging with REST, HTTP and the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAp)
– REST Properties and Constrains with IoT and CoAp
– HTTP Resource Identifiers, Media Types and Method with IoT and CoAps
– IoT Publish-and-Subscribe and MQ Telemetry Transport (MQTT)
– Non-Binary Data Serialization for IoT with JSONs
– Binary Data Serialization for IoT with Protocol Buffers
Duration: 1 Day
Taking the Course at a Workshop
This course can be taken as part of instructor-led workshops taught by Arcitura Certified Trainers. These workshops can be open for public registration or delivered privately for a specific organization. Certified Trainers can teach workshops in-person at a specific location or virtually using a video-enabled remote system, such as WebEx. Visit the Workshop Calendar page to view the current calendar of public workshops or visit the Private Training page to learn more about Arcitura’s worldwide private workshop delivery options.
Below are the base materials provided to public and private workshop participants.
Note that as a workshop participant, you may be eligible for discounts on the purchase of the Study Kit for this course.
Taking the Course using a Study Kit
This course can be completed via self-study by purchasing a Study Kit, which includes the base course materials as well as additional supplements and resources designed specifically for self-paced study and exam preparation.
Visit the IoT Module 1 Study Kit page for pricing information and for details. Also, visit the Study Kits Overview page for information regarding discounted Certification Study Kit Bundles for individual certification tracks.
The following materials are provided in the Study Kit for this course:
Taking the Course using an eLearning Study Kit
This course can be completed via self-study by purchasing an eLearning Study Kit subscription, which includes online access to the base course materials as well as additional supplements and resources designed for self-paced study and exam preparation.
Visit the IoT Module 1 eLearning Study Kit page for pricing information and details. Also, visit the eLearning Study Kits Overview page for information regarding discounted Certification eLearning Study Kit Bundles for individual certification tracks.
This eLearning Study Kit provides access to the following materials:
Study Kits and Study Bundles can be purchased using the online store. By purchasing and registering this Study Kit, you may be eligible for discounts on the registration of this course as part of a public workshop.
This course is one of three courses that are used to prepare for Exam IoT90.01. A passing grade on this exam is required to achieve the IoT Architect certification.
Download a printable PDF document with information about this course module and its corresponding Study Kit.